TORONTO, May 26, 2021 – Ontario Racing is pleased to announce that Standardbred horsepeople now have the opportunity to access certain purse funds that remain available under the Funding Agreement with Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) as a result of the continued suspension of live racing in the province as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The aforementioned funds were already committed to the industry through the Funding Agreement for Live Horse Racing between Ontario Racing and OLG. All undistributed relief funds will be added to purse funds for live races moving forward.
“Ontario Racing, OLG, and industry representatives, remain dedicated to supporting horsepeople and their horses throughout these challenging times,” said John Hayes, Chair, Ontario Racing. “While the past 14 months have been extremely trying for our industry and its thousands of participants, we appreciate your backing and look forward to the resumption of live racing across the province.”
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Ontario Racing created a task force, as it did during the spring lockdown in 2020, to address the financial impacts to Standardbred horse racing in Ontario.
For horsepeople to be eligible for financial payments for the month of May
pursuant to this program, the Standardbred COVID-19 Task Force has determined that horses must meet the criteria outlined below to be eligible to receive an equine benefit payment:
May Training Benefit Payment - $1,000 per horse:
1. Any horse stabled in Ontario with a charted line in Ontario in 2021 and is not currently racing or training/stabled outside of Ontario without returning to Ontario April 5, 2021 shall receive $1,000 in relief funding. No application required
2. The following horses that are preparing to race and are currently stabled in Ontario for the month of May are eligible to apply
for $1,000 in equine benefit funding:
If the horses to be submitted for May are the same that were submitted for the April equine benefit payment, you do not need to submit an application for May to receive the May equine benefit payment.
- Unraced in 2021 3- & 4-year-olds
- Any horse who started in Ontario between September 1 - December 23, 2020 that was stabled in Ontario at the time of the start and remained in Ontario until December 23, 2020
All horses under both criteria must remain in Ontario for the month of May to receive funding and make their first start in Ontario once live racing resumes in Ontario. If a horse qualifies under both criteria, the horse is eligible for only a single $1,000 payment.
The Standardbred Equine Benefit application for this payment can be found here (Application Form)
. The deadline to submit your application to Ontario Racing is June 2, 2021
. All mailed applications must be postmarked June 2, 2021
in order to be eligible. Please email
completed applications to:
Attn: Karen Allen – email@example.com
Ontario Racing Management
555 Rexdale Boulevard Toronto, ON
- All payments received must be used for the care and maintenance of Standardbred horses
- Once racing resumes in Ontario, horses who have received benefits under this program MUST make their first start at an Ontario Standardbred racetrack
- Ontario Racing reserves the right to request additional information to ensure all criteria has been met. Those receiving benefit payments under the program could be subject to an audit by Ontario Racing. Failure to meet the criteria will result in all amounts being repaid to Ontario Racing. All decisions are at the discretion of Ontario Racing and are ABSOLUTE and FINAL.
- Horses are currently under the care of an AGCO licensed trainer at the time the application is submitted.
- Horse people are encouraged to contact Ontario Racing to communicate any material differences in their stable from the April list of horses that were submitted. The application is provided to submit additional or missed horses from April that may otherwise qualify under the criteria noted above.
More Industry News