TORONTO, June 29, 2021
– Ontario Racing is pleased to announce that Quarter Horse horsepeople will have the opportunity to access certain purse funds that remain available under the Long-Term Funding Agreement with Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG). The funds made available in the form of equine support payments correlate directly to Long-Term Funding Agreement purse funds that have been foregone as a result of the lockdown measures from the first three cancelled May race days at Ajax Downs.
The June payments are provided for from the excess funds available from first round of May equine benefit payments and equates to half of a full month’s Quarter Horse benefit payment or $375/horse, as live Quarter Horse Racing resumed in Ontario on June 16, 2021.
The aforementioned funds were already committed to the industry through the Long Term-Funding Agreement for Live Horse Racing between Ontario Racing and OLG.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Ontario Racing created a task force, as it did during the spring lockdown in 2020, to address the financial impacts to horse racing in Ontario.
Eligibility Criteria and Conditions:
In order to be eligible for a financial relief payment of $375/approved Quarter Horse, the Quarter Horse Relief Task Force proposes that horses must meet the following requirements:
Horses are currently stabled in the province of Ontario
; 2 & 3 YO and older horses are in active training for the upcoming 2021 Quarter Horse season at Ajax Downs as verified by the Quarter Horse Task Force. 3 YO and older horses must have made a start during the 2020 racing season as verified on Equibase. 3 and 4 YO horses that did not make a start during 2020 but were in training during 2020 may apply. Approval is at the discretion of the Quarter Horse Task Force and supporting documentation may be required.
Horses meeting this criterion must apply for eligible equine welfare payments using the attached application form. Horses that were approved for the first payment in May 2021 DO NOT need to reapply
The Quarter Horse Equine Benefit application for this payment can be found here (Application Form Link
). The deadline to submit your application to Ontario Racing is July 9, 2021
. All mailed applications must be postmarked by June 25, 2021 in order to be deemed eligible. Please email or mail completed applications to:
Attn: Karen Allen – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ontario Racing Management
555 Rexdale Boulevard
Toronto, ON M9W 5L2
Photo by John Watkins
- All payments received must be used for the care and maintenance of Quarter Horses.
- Any horse receiving assistance under this program must be in the province of Ontario. Horses that are trained by an AGCO licensed Trainer who predominantly races at Ajax Downs but are not stabled in Ontario may apply. Approval is at the discretion of the Quarter Horse Task Force. Horses approved under this criterion will be required to race at Ajax Downs for the entire 2021 meet, if approved to receive funding.
- Once racing resumes in Ontario, horses who have received benefits under this program MUST make their first start at an Ontario Quarter Horse racetrack.
- Ontario Racing reserves the right to request additional information to ensure all criteria has been met.Those receiving benefits under the program could be subject to an audit by Ontario Racing. Failure to meet the criteria will result in all amounts being repaid to Ontario Racing.
- All decisions are at the discretion of Ontario Racing and are ABSOLUTE and FINAL.
- Horses are currently under the care of an AGCO licensed trainer at the time the application is submitted.
More Industry News