TORONTO, April 12, 2021 – Ontario Racing is pleased to announce that Standardbred horsepeople now have the opportunity to access certain purse funds that remain available under the Funding Agreement with Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) as a result of the suspension of live racing in the province as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The aforementioned funds were already committed to the industry through the Funding Agreement for Live Horse Racing between Ontario Racing and OLG.
“We are pleased to be able to provide these equine benefit payments,” said John Hayes, Chair, Ontario Racing. “Horse racing, like so many other industries, continues to be severely impacted by the pandemic. The Ontario Racing team, OLG, and industry representatives, remain dedicated to assisting horsepeople and horses across the province. We are grateful for your ongoing support throughout these challenging times.”
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Ontario Racing created a task force, as it did during the spring lockdown in 2020, to address the financial impacts to Standardbred horse racing in Ontario.
For horsepeople to be eligible for financial payments for the month of April pursuant to this program, the Standardbred COVID-19 Task Force has determined that horses must meet the criteria outlined below to be eligible to receive an equine benefit payment:
Horses Drawn into Race Cancellation Payment - $300 per horse:
Horses entered to race Saturday April 3, 2021 and Sunday April 4, 2021 at Woodbine Mohawk Park, Western Fair, and Rideau Carleton will be awarded the standard $300 cancellation fee. These races were previously drawn.
April Training Benefit Payment - $1,000 per horse:
1. Any horse stabled in Ontario with a charted line in Ontario in 2021 and is not currently racing or training/stabled outside of Ontario without returning to Ontario prior to April 5 shall receive $1,000 in relief funding. No application required.
2. The following horses that are preparing to race and are currently stabled in Ontario for the month of April may be eligible to apply for $1,000 in relief funding:
• Unraced in 2021 3- & 4-year-olds
• Any horse who started in Ontario between September 1 - December 23, 2020 that was stabled in Ontario at the time of the start and remained in Ontario until December 23, 2020
All horses under both criteria must remain in Ontario for the month of April to receive funding and make their first start in Ontario once live racing resumes in Ontario. If a horse qualifies under both criteria, the horse is eligible for only a single $1,000 payment.
The Standardbred Equine Benefit application for this payment can be found here (Application Form Link). The deadline to submit your application to Ontario Racing is Friday, April 23, 2021. All mailed applications must be postmarked by Friday, April 23, 2021 in order to be eligible.
Please email or mail completed applications to:
Attn: Sarrah Young – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ontario Racing Management
555 Rexdale Boulevard
Toronto, ON M9W 5L2
• All payments received must be used for the care and maintenance of Standardbred horses
• Once racing resumes in Ontario, horses who have received benefits under this program MUST make their first start at an Ontario Standardbred racetrack
• Ontario Racing reserves the right to request additional information to ensure all criteria has been met. Those receiving benefit payments under the program could be subject to an audit by Ontario Racing. Failure to meet the criteria will result in all amounts being repaid to Ontario Racing. All decisions are at the discretion of Ontario Racing and are ABSOLUTE and FINAL.
• Horses are currently under the care of an AGCO licensed trainer at the time the application is submitted
More Industry News