BEST BET - (2) STEALING CREDIT – Race 2
SPOT PLAY - (5) NEEDLECREST – Race 6
Early Pick 4 - 1,2,4,8/1,2/2,4,5/5 = $4.80
Late Pick 4 - 1,2,3/3,4,6/1,3,9/1 = $5.40
(1) BATTING STATS comes over from Mohawk Park and he is sure to use post position advantage to secure a good trip near the front. He gets the nod over (6) APRIL ROSE, who was a dominant winner in this class last week and rates highly again despite her post. (2) VESUVIO BI is a game competitor who should get himself involved here, although it may be tough beating both top choices.
(2) STEALING CREDIT takes a massive class plunge here and he gets one of the most aggressive drivers on the “B” circuit. Anything but a wire job at low odds would be a shock. (1) MIRAMICHI DAVID figures to pocket up behind the choice early and stick around for a good share. (3) CRAFTY XAMPLE should follow the top two and complete a chalky Tri.
Good race to start the early Pick 4 with a few having a legitimate shot. (2) ITS HUW YOU KNOW was game in defeat last week and he will likely be the one to catch again. (1) MUSCLE MATTERS should go much better here, and the inside post is an added bonus; using. (8) HLDONTGHTTOYURDRMS is capable if he can get close enough to the leaders by the 3/4 pole.
This race looks like it will come down to the inside two to decide it and seeing as I have to split hairs, I’ll give the nod to (2) AUDREYS DREAM, who went a tougher trip than (1) PAPARAZZI HANOVER last time when finishing just a neck behind him. I’ll use both in equal weight in the Pick 4, though. (4) ABOUT A BOY is worth a look for the exotics shipping back in from Mohawk Park.
(5) OH K MAN was up against it last time, trying to close into the fastest quarter of the race, but he kept coming; top call here. (4) FOOL ME ONCE is an obvious threat but he seems to have a case of seconditis recently. (2) BOOMBOOM BALLYKEEL steps back up off a win vs. lesser, but he’s capable of tripping out near the front and getting the job done here.
This is a spot where (5) NEEDLECREST simply shouldn’t get beat. I look for McClure to send him right down the road. (2) GOLD STAR DIABLO popped and stopped last time. He could last longer in this spot and hang around for a share. (3) BUCKSHOT AUSTIN is a good one to use underneath in the Tri and Super in this spot.
This seems to be a perfect spot for (1) BETTORBETHEONE to impose his will early and take them all the way on the front; top call. (2) STROKIN went a big trip to prevail last week and he is a top contender here, too; using. (3) BRINGER OF RAIN took a lot of air last time and stayed game to the finish. He’s the third one that I’ll use in this Pick 4 opening leg.
(6) BLUE EYED COWBOY moves into the hot Cullen barn here and there should be plenty of speed to track and chase down. (4) OCEANVIEW MAGNUM will be the one to catch and it wouldn’t be a shocker to see Roy bottom out the field with this gelding. (3) GALAGHER SEELSTER is in sharp form and he could get a golden pocket trip here, so I’ll toss him in the Pick 4.
(1) BLUE MOOSE is in terrific form and although he faces better here, he may be up to it. (9) CAPTAIN AMERICA is in a great spot here following the choice and he could end up with a golden tow to the lane. (3) SUPERSPORT was persistent and game last week when winning at this level. He’s not out of this.
(1) A YANKEE FEELN draws the best post and it’s obvious where McClure is heading when the wings of the gate fold. This gelding should go coast-to-coast. (2) TOO MUCH DUNCAN will likely be forced to take a seat early and he can complete the exacta following the choice. (3) JENKINS CREEK gets a good post to work from, but he may have to grind first up; using underneath. (5) CAPTAIN DRAGON fits here, but he is another who will likely be forced to take a spot in mid-pack at the start, so I’ll use him underneath. (4) ST LADS SAILOR is in good form and he should be used in the 3-4-5 slots underneath.
John Watkins photo
Garnet Barnsdale is a veteran handicapper, bettor and racing writer who has worked as an analyst for DRF Harness for the past five years. He is also the current President of the Canadian Chapter of the United States Harness Writers Association.