Best Bet- (5) MAC RAIDER - Race 11
Spot Play- (1) STONEBRIDGE GRAND - Race 8
Early Pick 4 - 1,5,7/1,2,7/5,6/3 = $3.60
Late Pick 4: 1,2,6/1,3,7/1,3/5 = $3.60
(6) MAJESTIC KAT shipped in from Buffalo and dominated last week to take her third win in a row. She should be tough again racing on the lead or from out of the pocket. (7) ABSOLUT SEELSTER always gets sent in this class at this track, so post position shouldn’t matter and he may be the one the choice will have to pass late. (2) NOBLE LEGEND - stablemate to the choice - can go much better here if he avoids an uncovered trip and he is an exacta factor in this spot.
(6) PAPARAZZI HANOVER gets some class relief here and you have to think that Cullen is sending him on a speed mission; top call. (5) BOOMBOOM BALLYKEEL is another class-dropper who figures and he easily could land in the pocket at the start which could make him very tough. (1) BETTOR BB figures to track the top two and stick around for a slice.
(1) SHIFTY LEO went a huge trip last week, moving three-wide into the teeth of a quick third quarter. He should be tough to beat here if he can work out a slightly easier trip. (7) KINGSTONS BAD BOY just wins, and he is likely the one to catch again despite having drawn the worst post. (5) GMC TROOPER can use his good early speed to secure a spot near the front and he should stick around for a share.
(1) DREAMFAIR B J is an all-or-nothing sort it seems, but you know where he’s going to be early and he’s the one to catch here. (2) FOOL ME ONCE should be in the choice’s pocket most of the way and he is the one he will likely need to fend off. (7) OH K MAN goes to a barn that can move one up off the claim and he draws McNair to drive. I’ll toss him in this early Pick 4.
(6) PRETTY HANDSOME is the boss in this class right now and if he can clear early he’ll be very tough to beat. (5) FASHIONONTHEBEACH gets McClure back and he stretched the choice out early last week, to no avail in the end. He is the logical alternative here, though. (3) HES GOT SWAGGER can add some more fuel to the early pace and he rarely misses the top three. I’ll use him underneath.
(3) TYLERS BEACH BOY paced a 27-flat second quarter that took its toll when claimed last time. This is a good spot for him making his debut for the meet’s leading trainer. (5) LEVY TAYLORE should improve shipping in from Mohawk, but the choice could get the jump on him here. (4) REGAL MAC has McNair listed and he should go better here; using underneath.
(3) TREASURE WRITER will probably get sent on a speed mission by McNair here on the class drop and he should prove hard to catch. (4) FOX VALLEY RIVIERA comes off a top effort at London and he should get a good trip racing near the front here. (5) CONFLICT DIAMOND did alright last week facing a big chalk that was taking a large class edge; exacta factor.
(1) STONEBRIDGE GRAND didn’t offer much racing out of the second tier last time, but starting from the rail here, he should be prominent throughout; top call. (2) DURHAM TOWN also draws much better here and he should get put into the race right off the gate; using. (6) INSPECTOR MURDOCH is hard to leave out dropping back into a claimer and attracting McNair but he may get over bet in this spot.
This is a tough race with not much decent current form to go off, but (3) HOPIESDRAGNINTHEDO exits by far the fastest races so he gets my nod. (1) EINHORN gets McClure and (7) CEMETERY OAKS gets McNair. Consider both for the late Pick 4 ticket.
(1) OCEANVIEW MAGNUM is sure to use rail control early and either make front, or let (3) A YANKEE FEELN go and sit a beautiful trip in his pocket. Slight nod to the former, but I’ll use both in the Pick 4. (8) LITTLE CLAYT could be the best horse in here, but post will likely doom him to taking only a small share.
(5) MAC RAIDER drops and attracts McNair. He should be very tough to catch here. (4) GOLD STAR DIABLO also faced easier here, and he should be an exotics factor at a minimum. (2) CAMMANDER RUFF should show good speed to get a spot near the front early and he should stick around to make it onto the Tri or Super. (7) NABBER AGAIN comes off a sharp effort but he may not take a lot of action from out there which could help boost the exotics payoffs. (9) DEMACHRACY gets away from the iron-tough Rasmus and he should be in the mix vs. these.
John Watkins photo
Garnet Barnsdale is a veteran handicapper, bettor and racing writer who has worked as an analyst for DRF Harness for the past five years. He is also the current President of the Canadian Chapter of the United States Harness Writers Association.